These driving adventures are organised and led by Carla Geyser, the founder of the Blue Sky Society Trust (BSST) and Blue Sky Expeditions who has, to date, led many successful trips into Africa. If you are an enthusiastic adventurer who is passionate about conservation and takes life as it comes, then this is for you! #JWP brings together like-minded people from around the world on trips that focus on visiting and raising funds for wildlife initiatives along the route.
#JWP EXPEDITIONS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE
Carla handpicks the expedition members, always looking for well-rounded individuals of various skills and interests. If you are an enthusiastic adventurer who is passionate about conservation and who takes life as it comes, then our next #JWP expedition could be for you.
REMOTE AND MEMORABLE
These expeditions often involve driving long distances over bumpy dusty roads, camping in remote areas, at times being without mobile phone service for days, and of course loads of giving back through hands-on charity work. Sometimes our accommodation varies from camping to chalets/rooms. Each journey is unique. So make sure you read the itinerary carefully.
This is not a ‘normal’ tour but rather a team expedition, and every now and then member(s) of the team are requested to pitch in, if required with cooking, cleaning, camp set-up etc. It is the experience of a lifetime, and we would love to have exploratory fun-filled compassionate spirits along for the ride.
ARE YOU UP FOR THE CHALLENGE?
This is a LIMITED entry journey, which means only a few people get to experience this unforgettable never-to-be-repeated experience. Minimum enrollment for this trip is 6 people. If minimum enrollment is not met 90 days prior to departure date, the trip may be cancelled in which case full payment excluding the deposit will be refunded. (Minus the non-refundable deposit of US$600).
Safety is always a priority. We have a satellite phone, SATIB Insurance 24-hour medivac and assistance on call, and access to doctors 24/7.
PAYMENT & BOOKING:
- DEPOSIT: A $600pp non-refundable deposit is required to be paid within 24 hours to reserve/book your spot on the expedition.
- PAYMENT TWO: To be paid within 30 days of booking confirmation
- FULL PAYMENT DEADLINE: The remaining balance should be paid 90 days prior to departure. If you are booking within 90 days of departure, then full payment is required at the time of booking.
- OR Full payment upfront (100%)
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY:
- 30 days (one month) or less: Cancellation by you up to 30 days prior to departure results in no refund. (100% Cancellation fee applies i.e. no refund)
- 30 – 90 days (one to three months): 70% cancellation fee applies. 30% will be refunded.
- 90 – 150 days (three to five months): 30% cancellation fee applies. 70% will be refunded.
- 150 days or more: Cancellation by you up to 150 days prior to departure to will result in full reimbursement MINUS deposit of US600pp.
- Blue Sky Expeditions is not responsible for cancellations due to medical or family emergencies or for any pandemics or acts of god cancellations (please read indemnity form).
- A cancellation request must be received in writing by email from the participant. Verbal notice will not serve as a valid cancellation.
- Should you choose to withdraw from the program, kindly note that the deposit is non-refundable.
- In the event that the trip is cancelled due to inadequate enrollment, Blue Sky Expeditions is not responsible for reimbursement of non-refundable airline tickets. While we do our absolute best to fill each trip, we highly recommend that you buy refundable airline tickets.
Unless you are purchasing the airline insurance, it is a good idea to wait until departure is confirmed to buy plane tickets.
Please ARRIVE at designated airport on specific date (see itinerary)
Please book your DEPARTURE from designated airport on specific date (see itinerary)
Traveling before or after the program is totally fine – just let Blue Sky Expeditions know your plans.
- Please note the itinerary may change slightly but we will keep you posted as to any amendments or changes. This is Africa (TIA).
- Blue Sky Expeditions would like to do educational work in rural schools as well if possible, handing out educational booklets to children and/or visiting communities.
- We will send you emails detailing the documentation and correspondence we require from you. An Expedition Agreement contract will be sent and needs to be read, understood, signed and returned to confirm your place.
- MEALS: Most meals will be eaten together at the places we stay. Food restrictions and allergies can be accommodated, just please let us know beforehand.
- SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS: Pricing is based upon a double occupancy sharing. Unless a specific person has been identified, you will usually be assigned a roommate. Each person will have their own bed.
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE:
- Here at Blue Sky Expeditions we do our best to ensure that every program is a success. However, in the event of something unexpected, we want you to be fully protected. We REQUIRE that you purchase international travel insurance.
- Make sure you have sufficient supplies of any prescription medicine. In fact, it might be wise to bring a small personal first aid kit, including any patent medicines you prefer. You are responsible for taking all necessary health precautions before and during your trip. It is the client’s responsibility to ensure they seek professional medical advice before travelling and to take all necessary health precautions and preventative measures.
- Vaccinations: Be an informed traveller! Ultimately, it is up to you to consult a physician. We are here to help but cannot legally provide medical advice.
ENTRY & VISA INFORMATION
Please ensure that your passport is valid for at least six months from the date of entry and that you have at least two blank pages in your passport (the back page does not count).
MONEY & TIPPING:
The colourful currency in each country will be explained – please do your homework or ask.
South Africa – SA Rand
Namibia – Namibian Dollar
Botswana – Botswana Pula
Zambia – Zambian Kwacha
Mozambique – Mozambique Metical
Zimbabwe – US$ *Cash only
Eswatini – SA Rand
Rwanda – Rwandan Franc
Credit cards are widely accepted so this can be your main form of payment. Reliable ATM’s in banks are available in certain cities . You may also bring cash to exchange at banks and exchange offices.
TIPPING: There will some situations where you may feel the need to tip but as always it is up to your discretion. Typically, it is customary to tip our local guides $5-$10 per day per guide. BUT you are welcome to tip more.