THE GREATEST AFRICAN ELEPHANT EXPEDITION
10 000 KILOMETERS | 10 COUNTRIES ONE INCREDIBLE JOURNEYThe ELEPHANT IGNITE expedition will see a group of passionate females, from all walks of life, travel a distance of 10 000kms through 10 southern African countries, visiting African organisations dedicated to the preservation of elephants that need our ongoing support. Connected by a common goal to make a difference to Africa’s elephants, the group will embark on a journey with a purpose.
- Community upliftment.
- Youth education targeting conservation and sustainability.
- Public awareness for the plight of Africa’s declining elephant population.
- Fundraising support for the non-profit organisations working to protect the elephants.
The expedition will be filmed for a web-series for the awardwinning Earth Touch website: www.earthouchnews.com The series will document not only the journey, but tell the stories of the various organisations and people who are truly making a difference in the world of elephant conservation. We hope to create a huge amount of awareness that will turn into real, practical actions for saving elephants and spark a passion for conservation with the rest of the world.
Feel free to DOWNLOAD the Elephant Ignite Expedition brochure.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To increase public awareness for the current spiralling wildlife crisis that is occurring with elephants in East Africa and surroundings countries.
- To help reduce human - elephant conflict challenges through education and awareness programmes.
- To visit rural communities along the way with educational messages about poaching and wildlife crime issues, with special emphasis on youth engagement. (Educational tools provided will empower individuals to share their knowledge with others to support ongoing momentum for the campaign.)
- To nurture an understanding of the value of conservation amongst rural communities, particularly for elephant and other endangered species affected by illegal poaching and wildlife crime.
- Gain youth perspectives on illegal poaching, wildlife crime, demand-reduction and the economic value of endangered species.
- To visit the various conservation organisations that are fighting to keep our wildlife safe, and meet the “heroes” on the ground. Document and share their stories with the world and gain international funding support.
- To link the conservation organisations and initiatives throughout the region and encourage them to share their knowledge, thereby strenghtening networking capabilities and increasing fundraising opportunities.
- To deliver funds and sponsored equipment to the various nominated charities and conservation organisations. (Various fundraising activities will be implemented preexpedition. We would also like to show donors exactly where their money is going.)
- To gather conservation and anti-poaching messages from people (children and adults) who we have interacted with along the route as a further call to action against elephant poaching.
DEPARTURE: 9th August 2016 from Sibaya Casino and Entertainment Kingdom, Durban, KZN (Woman’s Day)
OFFICIAL NOMINATED CHARITIES
- ELEPHANTS AND BEES PROJECT
- ECOEXIST PROJECT
- GAME RANGERS INTERNATIONAL
- KASUNGA ELEPHANT FOUNDATION
- SOUTH LUANGWA CANINE UNIT